Pages

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

The Most Wonderful Time of The Year

            I must say I truly LOVE Christmas- I love everything about it. Nothing is more fulfilling than making cookies and sweets with the kids, going to church functions( because Jesus is after all the true meaning of Christmas), and seeing family you never get to see. However, I have noticed that this year my Christmas spirit is starting to dwindle a little. I was a the peak when we were decorating and putting up the tree etc. but now I am starting to feel like it will be a blessing to get it over with.
            Everyone is so wrapped up in the materialistic things this year....and of course no one can afford it. My husband and I were talking the other day about how kids would react if this year for Christmas they received the gifts our grandparents did back years ago....a piece of fruit and maybe some hard candy and if you were lucky a small and perhaps homemade toy....The cries of devastation would be heard round the world. I did get tickled ,when at our church Christmas play rehearsal with my 3-7 yrs old kids , I asked what they had asked to get for Christmas this year and they replied Ipods and a four wheeler ( Thank God Cara is still relatively simple...the only thing she wants is a tent (and if it was made from cardboard she probably wouldn't notice LOL)     
            Then you have others who love the show of Christmas! and to be honestly ...it's just down right disgusting. Now I'm sure you are contemplating my scrooge- ness ...but I really do like Christmas. I like the simple things of it. This year for the most part we aren't doing gifts with family ( only the kids) and that is who it is really for anyway. Why spend time and money you don't have to give someone you never see something they don't really need.
            Now on to Santa....Thank goodness my Mother-in -law doesn't have a computer because she thinks we are down right horrible for this. I have never told Cara that Santa is real. She knows that he was a nice man who used to give out toys.....now she enjoys every Christmas movie from Rudolph to the Grinch but I felt that it wasn't necessary to make Santa the all-seeing eye of Christmas. When we were in the mall, we stopped to see Santa and at first she was hesitant, but seeing her cousin bound up and ask for her easy bake oven, she figured she would try it out. After we left, I asked her what she thought about it and she replied...We'll he seemed like a nice man.
           I'm thankful for all the Lord has saw fit to bless me with in life. I have a wonderful family. I am so thankful we all attend church together. I'm so proud of Jacob and his desire as a young man to be at church with his family ~ That says alot of his character. Since Christmas is on a Sunday this year, We will be at church that morning. It was almost appalling  to hear a lady, at our church dinner Sunday,  explain that she would see us after Christmas because she wasn't going to be there because they had so much to do.
Now isn't that true worldly Christmas fashion- If you weren't planning on attending church Sunday - I hope this blog does shame you into going. After all isn't worshiping God does seem quite respectful seeing as this is HIS  holiday.
          On a final note please remember...despite all the cliche`  saying you hear thru out this season, Jesus is the reason for the season. If it wasn't for his life we would not have ours. Counting your blessings isn't just for Thanksgiving....... MERRY CHRISTMAS !

No comments:

Post a Comment